Special Transportation Requests

A special transportation request (“STR”) refers to transportation to and/or from a location other than a student’s legal (home) residence. A Special Transportation Request also required when a child will not require transportation due to attendance in the 4th-R Program or when alternate transportation arrangements have been made (e.g., parent transport). 




Q:  Where do I submit the completed form and is there a due date?
All forms need to be submitted to the school's main office. We request forms be completed in early June for the following school year for bus routing purposes, but do accept forms throughout the school year. (No requests will be processed between August 23 - September 6.)

Q: Do I need to complete a form every year, even if the location has not changed?
Yes, a new form for each student must be completed each school year. At the end of every school year, the address utilized for bus routing purposes defaults back to the student’s residence.

Q: What if I have safety concerns regarding the bus stop location that services my special transportation request?
Bus stops associated with special transportation requests (e.g., childcare centers or home daycare providers) are not subject to appeal. If the parent/guardian is not satisfied with the bus stop location associated with a special transportation request, transportation will revert to the bus stop location associated with the student’s residence.

Q: I want my child to attend a daycare that is located outside of my child’s elementary school district. Will South Windsor Public Schools provide transportation?
No, transportation is only provided to locations within a student’s designated elementary school district. Please refer to the "Elementary School Districts by Street" for an alphabetized list of street locations for each elementary school district.

>> Elementary School Districts by Street

Q: What if joint custody exists with our children and transportation to both households is needed?
Transportation can be provided to both households as long as both parents reside in South Windsor (parents of elementary students must also live within the same school district) and residency for both households has been established by providing the necessary documents to the school. One parent needs to complete the STR and indicate both household addresses. The completed form then needs to be submitted to the student’s school office for processing. If you have children attending different schools (High School, Middle School and Elementary), a separate form needs to be completed for each applicable grade level. Forms must be completed on an annual basis, even if the information remains the same.